According to the National Institutes of Health, you may have a hearing problem if you answer yes to three or more of the questions below. If you do, you should consider setting up an appointment with a doctor that specializes in diagnosing and treating diseases of the ear, like Chevy Chase ENT.
So let's find out. Please answer the following ten questions:
- Do you sometimes feel embarrassed when you meet new people because you struggle to hear? [YES] [NO]
- Do you feel frustrated when talking to members of your family because you have difficulty hearing them? [YES] [NO]
- Do you have difficulty hearing when someone speaks in a whisper? [YES] [NO]
- Do you feel restricted or limited by a hearing problem? [YES] [NO]
- Do you have difficulty hearing when visiting friends, relatives, or neighbors? [YES] [NO]
- Does a hearing problem cause you to attend religious services less often than you would like? [YES] [NO]
- Does a hearing problem cause you to argue with family members? [YES] [NO]
- Do you have trouble hearing the TV or radio at levels that are loud enough for others? [YES] [NO]
- Do you feel that any difficulty with your hearing limits your personal or social life? [YES] [NO]
- Do you have trouble hearing family or friends when you are together in a restaurant? [YES] [NO]
Did you answer yes to three or more questions? If you did you are not alone. It is estimated that 5% of the world's population has disabling hearing loss, and one-third of people over the age of 65 are afflicted. But treatment options are available. If you live the Washington D.C. metro area and would like to learn more, feel free to contact us today for a no-obligation consultation.