According to the Better Hearing Institute, keeping the people you love who are struggling with hearing loss in the conversation and part of the celebration is one of the most meaningful things you can do this holiday season.
They identify nine areas (or tips) that you can use to make a difference in the lives of impacted friends and family, including:
- Being attentive as you talk and they listen
- Control the volume of sounds and noise in the environment
- Adequate lighting can help them see your lips as you speak
- Speaking clearly and with clarity
- Directly facing the person as your are talking to them
- Rephrasing what you say if they are struggling to hear you
- Being closer to the person while you talk
- Seek them out if you feel like they struggling
- Stay patient. Their enjoyment will add to your enjoyment.
They key is to empathize with their current situation and to help them out in any way you can.
Also, if they have a hearing aid and are still struggling, this is a sign that an examination of the effectiveness of that hearing aid should considered. There are three common ways to test how well a hearing aid may or may not be working, and you can learn more by clicking here.
And for more information on treatment options for friends and family affected with hearing loss, feel free to contact us today.